Experience Joy In Your Life Through Practicing Mindfulness
Finding Mindfulness To Become More Present In Your Day-To-Day Life
Mindfulness, which is the simple act of being present in the moment, can reduce stress and increase happiness. And best of all, we all possess the ability to tap into the power of mindfulness. As with any skill, it just takes practice and a little time to master.
Here are five ways you can be more present every day:
- Sit down and enjoy your drink of choice in the morning. Give yourself an extra 10 minutes to enjoy the downtime of sipping your coffee, tea, celery juice, etc., before tackling the hustle and bustle of the day.
- Take back just two minutes. Before joining that zoom meeting, take two minutes to sit and centre yourself on your chair and take deep breaths. Maybe try the “5 Senses Grounding Exercise”: Wherever you are, name 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste.
- Unplug. Put your phone away. Being constantly plugged in and reachable can be overstimulating, and often prevents us from getting the true break time we need.
- Go outside. Fresh air fuels the soul, so try taking a walk on your lunch break or after work. Consider trying the “Colour Walk”: Choose a colour, go outside and walk toward that colour, turning toward it every time you see it. This exercise encourages you to be present with the nature around you and to get lost in its beauty.
- Reconnect with hobbies that bring you joy. After work, instead of doing something mindless like watching tv or scrolling through TikTok, try something more “you”. Maybe it’s drawing, playing an instrument, reading a book, cuddling with your pet, going for a run, or taking a bath. These simple activities help you to slow down and reconnect with your body and your sense of self.
Remember, although it takes some time and practice, the best gift we can give ourselves is the gift of being present — engaged with life, connected with each other, listening with kindness, and free from judgment. It all begins with you.