Setting Resolutions For Dating?
Yes, we need those too.
When it comes to all areas of our life we set goals, put in the time, energy and work in order to meet our targets. For some reason when it comes to dating, we view this tried and true strategy as "not romantic" and are often told we should just "stop looking and love will come". Well, the research says otherwise...and here are seven dating resolutions you can try!
- Get your mindset straight: Be positive. Everyone deserves love. Look around: people of all shapes, sizes, ages, abilities, and personalities find love. So can you.
- Make goals (and stick to them): Dating is like learning to play an instrument, mastering a new hobby, or going back to school. Set goals, assess, persist, fall down, and get back up. Follow through.
- Manage your expectations: You are complicated, and so is your future partner. No one is perfect, but you might be compatible. Know your non-negotiables. (It can’t be more than 7!)
- Create the Tools: Online/app dating is here to stay! Having half a profile filled out with no pictures listed is not online dating. See these tools as assets and not the enemy. Have a great first impression, and let the technology work for you!
- Get feedback: Take a look in the mirror. What makes dating you difficult? What can you be working on and what’s your plan to improve in these areas?
- Hire professionals: We hire realtors when buying a house, tutors when learning a new subject, hairstylist to do our hair…but when it comes to love, we struggle in silence. Get support!
- Attend a workshop: Keep your eyes open in our newsletter for SHIFT’s upcoming workshop Online Dating 101, in partnership with Integra Health Centre.
This article was written by Lindsey Danisch during their time at Shift Collab.