Jacob Ernst, MSW RSW
Jacob Ernst, MSW RSW
Child and adolescent development, parenting and relationship challenges, trauma.
Jacob is a Registered Social Worker in Toronto. In his full-time position as a Family and Child Clinician at Child Development Institute, Jacob provides supportive group, individual, and family counseling.
At Shift, Jacob provides psychotherapy to adults, adolescents, children, and their families who are learning to adapt and cope with diverse cognitive, behavioural, and mental health challenges. Jacob’s expertise is in the areas of psychoeducation, emotion regulation, self-esteem, trauma, and attachment.
Jacob received his Master of Social Work (MSW) from the University of Toronto. He works from both an anti-oppressive and strengths-based approach where the full self is recognized in both a supportive and collaborative way. Jacob has experience working with children, teens, and adults who are learning to cope with anxiety, depression, and OCD as well as understand these challenges in the context of their larger world at home and at school. In supporting those he works with, Jacob draws on cognitive behavioural, emotion-focused, psychodynamic, and mindfulness-based approaches.
Jacob aims to meet his clients where they are at and strives to include their voice in the process of exploring new ways to understand themselves and the world around them.
- Master of Social Work, MSW; University of Toronto, Toronto ON
- Bachelor of Social Work; BSW; Lakehead University, Orillia ON
- Bachelor of Arts; BA Criminal Justice and Public Policy; Psychology; University of Guelph, Guelph ON
- Domestic Violence Risk Assessment and Management, Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children
- SNAP Parent and Child Training, Child Development Institute
- Advanced SNAP Training, Child Development Institute
- Tough-to-Treat Anxiety: Effective Solutions for Anxiety with Concurrent Disorders, LeadingEdge
- TAPP-C The Arson Prevention Program for Children, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- The Early Assessment Risk List for Boys (EARL-20B) and Girls (EARL-21G), Child Development Institute
- Treating Trauma Master Series (The Neurobiology of Trauma, Attachment, and Traumatic Memory), National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioural Medicine
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (TF-CBT)
- Using TF-CBT With Childhood Traumatic Grief
- Brain Story Certification (ongoing course through Alberta Family Wellness Initiative)
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health Development
- Mood Disorders
- Sexuality & Gender
- Life Transitions / Dealing With Change
- Anti-Oppressive Practices
Residency & Fellowships
- Woodgreen Community Services, Community Care and Wellness for Seniors
- Child Development Institute, SNAP Boys Program
- Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers; Registered Social Worker (RSW)
- Ontario Association of Social Work
- Contributing author: The Huffington Post